WELCOME

lunes, 15 de marzo de 2010


It's time for another edition of stuff that bugs me.

The last time around, most of the stupid tech tricks revolved around software. This time around, we have a mix of software and hardware stupidities.



click on image for full view
What Floppy?
Let's start with a message I've seen frequently when booting a new system:
Floppy Disk Fail 0
My first thought when I see this error is—WTF (What The Floppy)?

In the era of Vista, Linux, MacOS, and USB flash memory keys, I always disable the floppy disk controller on first system boot, because I never use floppies, unless it's forced on me.

Quite a few motherboard BIOS setups, though, allow the floppy disk drive to be enabled, even if the floppy disk controller is disabled. So you'll see on the primary setup screen:

Legacy Diskette A: [1.44MB]
So the drive can be enabled, even if the controller is not. What's even more stupid is that the BIOS sees this as a floppy drive that's not present.

The good news is that some of the newer motherboards no longer show a floppy disk controller in the "onboard devices" setup screen. You just turn it off in the main BIOS setup screen. Continued...







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario